Thursday, July 31, 2014

[summer tv]

I'll admit, I love watching TV. While I don't have much time to watch live TV, I catch my shows on Xfinity On Demand when my schedule allows. Usually, this means some kind of late night binge TV-show-catch-up session or a day when I come home exhausted from work and can't move. Summertime offers up a different selection than the regular season shows, and I'll admit I've become hooked on a few new shows this summer.






Murder In the First on TNT is a show about two homicide detectives who find a common thread between two murders they are investigating. The show follows them and their team through the both trials. Let's be honest. It's Taye Diggs. I'll watch anything with Taye Diggs. Aside from that, Tom Felton is great and Kathleen Robertson is too. And I love a good murder/mystery/cop drama as much as the next girl.


Ok. So Witches of East End isn't going to win any awards. It's no Scandal or Grey's Anatomy, BUT I love it. Basically it's a family of witches and warlocks that lives in East End (somewhere in New England) in the present day, navigating life, love, scandal, the whole nine. Drama, mystery, some suspense and pretty people. Yup. I'm hooked.






Mistresses is on ABC, so it actually has a decent plot. It's essentially the story of four friends in California living their lives of scandal. One character cheats on her Aussie husband, who sticks around and goes into business with her sister. One's a therapist who's lover died and is trying to find normalcy again. One finds out her boyfriend is married and deals with how to move on. One is an event planner dating a plastic surgeon. I mean, it's California and a bit cliche, but it's scandalous, dramatic, sometimes tender-hearted and sappy, and all around a great show.







Running Wild with Bear Grylls is a brand new show where Bear takes celebrities on a 48 hour survival adventure. So far the first episode was with Zac Efron, who is very adventurous and fit anyways, so he was able to really keep up. It's Bear Grylls, therefore it's amazing. Plus it's cool to see celebrities out of their element and how they respond.








I'm going to be honest. Devious Maids is not quality television. It's basically an American telenovela. The actresses are all authentically hispanic, which is refreshing, but all of their accents are definitely not. Everything is exaggerated and outlandish but there's scandal, mystery, love and comedy thrown in so it definitely is entertaining. It's one of the shows I forget to go back and re-watch, but when I remember can't just let it go. Oh, well.









TV can be like a good book: it doesn't have to have the best plot or best storytelling, it has to be able to get my attention and help me decompress. Obviously, quality is better, but sometimes a good soap opera is just what I need. That said, I don't know how people watch The Bachelor and Bachelorette or any of those Real World-like shows on MTV. To each his own!

 photo sig_zpsd9be5540.png

"I don't know a perfect person. I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
- john green

No comments:

Post a Comment